Please check back Fall of 2023 for General Distribution Grants!
Grantmaking 2022 Update
At The Montgomery County Foundation Inc., we know that our capacity to affect change - lasting, transformational change - only comes through strengthening the capacity of our nonprofit partners. Amidst this uncertain time, we are asking for your participation in a 10-minute needs assessment, managed by our friends at Network for Good (NFG).
Following this assessment, The Montgomery County Foundation Inc. will be rolling out the successful Jumpstart Program to a new cohort of local organizations. Your participation in this survey is the first step to be considered for this capacity building opportunity, which has helped the pilot Montgomery County cohort raise over $100,000 in fundraising growth in less than one year.
Jumpstart (program overview) is an immersive, yearlong program that pairs you with a personal fundraising coach, who meets with you (virtually) twice per month to help in acquiring, retaining, and upgrading individual donors. In addition to dedicated coaching, the program includes technology tools and technical assistance.
Any challenges expressed in your responses WILL NOT influence existing or future grant commitments. Also, as a thank you for your participation, you will see a link to download a free toolkit of various fundraising templates.
We look forward to hearing from you and are thankful for the great work that you do.
Grant Application Guidelines
The Montgomery County Foundation, Inc. is a community foundation whose mission it is to receive, administer, and manage under community control, funds, primarily for permanent endowments, received from public and private resources and to distribute grants for charitable purposes, so as to improve the quality of life for people in Montgomery County and the surrounding areas both now and in the future. In partnership with donors and grantees, it seeks to build on community assets and meet community needs through responsible stewardship of funds and effective grantmaking.
Donors establish permanent funds for a number of reasons, ranging from providing scholarships to supporting specific nonprofit agencies or broad charitable purpose. Grants from certain funds may be awarded with the advice from the donor or a committee that advises the fund. Other funds have been earmarked for and are of philanthropic interest such as arts, culture, humanities, human services, community economic development, education, public society benefit and the environment. These grants are awarded through a review process involving input from the Grantmaking Committee of the Foundation and approval by the Board of Directors.
Please be aware that the Foundation does not fund the following:
- Organizations outside of Montgomery County; unless their work specifically benefits people in Montgomery County
- Umbrella Funding Organizations for the purpose of re-granting
- Support for religious indoctrination or activities
- Capital Campaign/improvements
- Deficit Financing
- Support for equipment and supplies except as they are integral to the project/organization budget
- Fundraising campaigns and expenses, and/or fundraising staff
- Salary for new staff positions or for individual staff positions except as they are integral to the organization budget
- Lobbying, electioneering and activities of political nature
- Activities that have the potential to support terrorism
- Political activities of any kind
- Ads, sponsorships, or special events
Eligibility is limited to nonprofit, 501(c)3 tax exempt organizations with budgets $3,000,000 or less.
Types of Grants
General Distribution Grants (usually due in September of each year) will be for “operating funds for your organization.” Specific details will be available each year. General Distribution grants begin with a Letter of Intent.
LETTER OF INTENT FOR THE GENERAL DISTRIBUTION WILL BE AVAILABLE ONLINE FALL 2023.
CLICK HERE FOR ONLINE APPLICATION:
THOSE INVITED TO SUBMIT FULL PROPOSALS WILL FIND THAT APPLICATION ONLINE AND WILL BE AVAILABLE FALL 2023.
CLICK HERE FOR ONLINE APPLICATION:
ALL FULL PROPOSALS WILL BE JUDGED ON THE BASIS OF SUCH THINGS AS:
- THE CAPACITY AND PAST REPUTATION OF THE AGENCY FOR THE SUCCESSFUL ACHIEVEMENT OF OUTCOMES
- THE CLARITY AND MEASURABILITY OF THE OUTCOMES.
- THE COMPLETENESS OF THE PLANS TO FUND THE ORGANIZATION BEYOND THE GRANT PERIOD.
- THE FEASIBILITY OF THE TIME FRAME FOR THE COMPLETION OF THE ORGANIZATIONAL OUTCOME.
- COSTS ARE COMMENSURATE WITH THE BENEFITS.
- COMPLETENESS OF THE PROPOSAL.
IF YOUR AGENCY HAS RECEIVED GRANTS FOR THREE CONSECUTIVE YEARS, YOU MUST TAKE AN ENTIRE YEAR OFF. YOU MAY APPLY AGAIN FOR THE FOLLOWING YEAR.